State and local governments continue to face constant pressure to generate greater revenues, either from existing revenue sources or by amending existing tax codes or enacting new taxes. The desire for additional revenue has resulted in aggressive efforts by state and local taxing authorities to collect greater revenue from existing sources through audit and enforcement activities, by narrowly interpreting existing laws, and by implementing legislation increasing taxes, curtailing exemptions, or enacting new taxes.
We have several decades of combined experience in advising individuals and business on strategies for structuring their operations and transactions in the most tax efficient manner, and with helping clients resolve complex state and local tax controversies.
We provide a full range of tax advice and representation services to address our clients’ state and local tax needs, including the following:
- Transactional planning advice to minimize state and local tax consequences of business operations, multistate taxation, significant transactions, and business formation and reorganization-related issues.
- Advice and representation in connection with audits, assessments, compliance and enforcement issues, letter rulings, closing agreements, and refund requests.
- State and local tax controversy representation, including administrative appeals, tax refund litigation, and appellate representation.
- Providing practical, effective guidance with respect to tax legislation and agency rulemaking activities.
- Guidance with respect to all types of direct and indirect taxes, including sales and use tax, business and occupation tax, gross receipts tax, corporate and individual net income tax, property tax, real estate excise tax, and miscellaneous taxes and governmental fees.
Attorney, Founding Member
Attorney, Founding Member
“The team at Stoll Petteys have been instrumental in providing best-in-class service for our growing company's wide range of legal needs. Eric and Jeannie have an extraordinary drive for clarity and completeness – exactly what a technology business having the same drive needs in legal counsel."
“Eric and David took over my case midstream and truly turned it around. They resolved my case quickly, ending a long battle, and giving me back my business.”
"I've worked with Eric and David on a number of issues, including personal estate planning and various business matters. Both of them are very good at making complicated subjects understandable and overall client service is excellent!"